GTA SPELLING BEE 2014
CONGRATULATIONS to the winners at THE GRAND FINALE OF GTA SPELLING BEE COMPETITION 2014
TOWEF WOULD LIKE TO CONGRATULATE THE WINNERS
First prize : Kent Murray - Gr6, St.Veronica Catholic ES, Vaughan
Second prize: Mathew Huang , Gr 6
Third prize: Sherry Li, Gr 6, Beverly Glenn Junior PS
First Prize : Viren Mehta, Burnhamthorpe PS, Mississauga
Second prize: Cole Cameron, St Patrick CS, Markham
Third prize: Nithya Kandadai, Gr 5, Vrandenberg, Jr PS Scarborough
THE WINNING SCHOOL WILL RETAIN THE TROPHY TO BE PRESENTED TO THE WINNER IN THE ASSEMBLY
JR CATEGORY GR 3,4,5 ; Sr CATEGORY : GR 6,7,8
Senior: First Prize: $150 , Second Prize $100 , Third prize $50
Junior : First Prize: $ 100 , Second Prize : $75; Third prize ; $25
Many complimentary prizes and Every participant will get certificate
June 8th, 11-4pm, Markham Civic Centre, Canada Room, ( York , Scarborough, Durham, Peel)
Those who are contesting on may 25th, may 31, Jun 1 and Jun 8th, has to stay back for semi finals on the same date if they qualify for semi final in the written test
June 14, 11.30 -4.30 pm, Vellore Village community center, 1 Village Royale Ave, Vaughan
( All finalists from four regions compete together for junior and senior categories )
NOTE: Contestants can participate from any of the venues during prelims and semi finals .
Peel region contestants can have an opportunity to come on May 31st to take written test before semi finals on same day
Parents should be prepared to stay longer to have your children spell at semi finals
THE TROPHY FOR EACH CATEGORY IS A ROLLING CUP AND RETAINED BY THE WINNING
SCHOOL AND THE WINNERS WILL GET MEDALS , CASH AND CERTIFCATES
Contestants can participate from any of the locations for preliminary and semi final rounds
The rules and words will be email to all registrants once registered . Read below the rules and methology of contest
TOWEF’S -GTA SPELLING BEE
RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR COMPETITION
- The speller must, be, attending a school within any of the following regions: YORK, PEEL, DURHAM OR TORONTO.
- The participant has no barrier for religion, nationality, ethnicity or school board.
- No participant is allowed to represent two regions.
- The contestant must not have passed beyond the eighth grade at the time of competition
- The preliminary rounds are to qualify the participants as eligible contestants.
- Those who qualify in the preliminary rounds will officially be registered as contestants for the trophy, provided they have paid the applicable registration fee.
- The first prize is rolling trophy goes to winning school , however winning contestants will get medal, certificate and cash prize as per that category
- The organizers has the right to cancel any of the categories if enough registrations are not there.
RULES FOR PRELIMINARY ROUND:
- All participants competing in the competition are given a contestant number and badge to determine their order, and all the contestants will be seated as per their allocated numbers.
- The pronouncer will say the word, and the contestants will write the spelling of the word correctly .The word will be pronounced 2 times, and the contestant can ask for the meaning, or use of word in a sentence, if required.
- The maximum time limit per word will be 45 seconds. A bell will be used to acknowledge the time limit.
- Contestants will progress past this round if they score higher than 60%.
RULES FOR SEMI-FINAL & FINAL ROUNDS:
- All participants competing in the competition are given a contestant number and badge to determine their order and all the contestants will be seated as per their allocated numbers.
- The word will be pronounced two times, and the contestant can ask for the meaning of the word
- The maximum time limit to spell the word would be 30 seconds.
- The speller is given the opportunity to ask for the word to be repeated, the definition of the word, its origin and in the form of a sentence.
- Once the speller has started to spell the word, he or she may stop and start over from the beginning. However, there can be no changes to the sequence of the letters already spelled.
- In semi final round, each speller will be given two chances to spell wrongly , while in the finale each speller will be given only one chance and still stay in the competition. Any wrong spelling thereafter, will eliminate them from the competition.
- The judges will monitor the speller for incorrect spelling and number of chances. In any case, the decision of the judge will be final.
- The contest will continue until the last speller is left and is adjudicated as the best speller for that region.
Due to insufficient registrations the committee decided to merge the categories Gr 3.4.5 and Gr 6.7. 8
Note: If the participant chose to withdraw their registration , can do so one week before the competition , after
which the registration fee will not be refunded.
Note: The prize money may be increased based on number of contestants in each category at the time of competition
Wishing you all the best of luck
GTA SPELLING BEE 2014
CONGRATULATIONS FOR TO ALL THOSE WHO QUALIFIED INTO THE GRAND FINALE OF GTA SPELLING BEE COMPETITION 2014
The following contestants qualified and entered finals of the competition
Semi finals at Vellore village community centre, on may 25th
Junior category - Gr3,4,5
Leva Nowzartash , Gr 4, Forest run ps , Vaughan
Aditya Mishra , Gr 4, Fossil Hill, PS, Vaughan
Sumedh Dhanvantry , Gr 4, Legacy PS, Markham
Kathy Tran ,Gr 5, Fossil Hill P.S. , Vaughan
Senior Category Gr 6,7,8
Kent Murray , Gr 6, St Veronica Catholic ES, Vaughan
Cynthia Gnanaseelan , Gr 8, St Justin Martyr , Markham
Sherry Li , Gr 6, Beverly Glen Junior PS
Semi finals at Burnhamthorpe community centre, Mississauga on May 31st
Jr Category Gr 3,4,5
Sreenika – Name: sreenika nandyala
Grade : 4 School : Fern Avenue Public School
Anshul Keswani, ,Gr 5, Meadowale Village PS , Mississauga - second place
Viren Mehta – Burhamthorpe PS, Mississauga
Sr. Category – Gr 6,7,8
Nirmal Hedge - Gr 6, Williams parkway, Sr PS, Brampton, first place
Brennah Hudson – second place
Sena Gladzo , Gr 6, Paul Vanier PS , Brampton
Semifinals at Stephen Leocock community centre, Scarborough on Jun 1st
Khushpreet Chauhan , Gr 3, Randall PS, Markham , first place
Krishni Uthayashanker, Gr 4, Glad park PS , Stouffville (second place)
Nithya Kandadai , Gr5, Vrandenberg JR PS , Scarborough
Jerremy Godwin , Gr 6 ( first place) , St Bonaventure C.S ,
Fardin Islam, Gr 7 , Charles Gordon, Sr PS , Scarborough ( Second place)
Esmail Mamdami, Gr 6
Kevin Zheng , Gr 8 St. Benedict CES, Markham